Thursday, March 8, 2012

Scruples

2. In a heated tennis match, your opponent returns a ball that looks out, but you’re not sure. If you win the point, you win the match. Do you call the ball out?

I would call the ball out. This may not be the ethically correct thing to do in this situation, but I have a very competitive spirit, especially when it comes to athletics. In this situation, the ball is obviously close enough to be called either way, but it looks like it is out. There is no way to make both sides happy on a borderline call, because there are no do-overs. If the ball looks out to me, I am going to call it out, because that is how I saw it, and it is the only fair way to call it. I know that, with my competitive attitude, and the uncertainty that comes with the situation, I would call the ball out.

No comments:

Post a Comment